The mission of Purdue University's Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Center of Excellence is to promote the advancement and implementation of PLM through research and education in partnership with industry.
PLM is an environment in which information technology tools and processes allow a company increased access to product definition data to better develop, manage and support their products. It is a collection of interconnected technologies that enable companies to make better business decisions throughout the lifecycle of a product. PLM defines and controls data collection processes, integration, transformation, analysis and visualization processes; from establishing a product's requirements, to the design, manufacturing, maintenance and recycling of the product.
The objectives of the Purdue PLM Center of Excellence are:
- Establishing industry partnerships that guide, support, and validate PLM research and education activities
- Providing seed funding for exploratory research projects that promise to advance the PLM state of the art
- Assisting with the integration of PLM into College curricula
- Facilitating the pursuit of PLM career opportunities by Purdue graduates
- Enabling PLM adoption by industry
- Serving as a knowledge base and thought leader for the PLM discipline