Hazar Dib, MSCE, Ph.D. received his BSc and MSc in Civil Engineering in 2002 from the University of Balamand (Lebanon) and his PhD in Building Construction Management from the University of Florida (USA) in 2007 with Emphasis on Information Sharing and Information Management. He is currently an Assistant Professor of Building Information Management in the college of Technology at Purdue University in Indiana USA. He believes that computing and technology are fundamental to the advancement of globalization of science and engineering and he works toward this goal. At Purdue University, the courses he offers focus on Building Information Management, a lifecycle approach to managing construction activities and sharing of Information using effective technologies. His research areas include the integration of 3D technologies in information modeling techniques, development of knowledge acquisition methods and strategies for examining and capturing expert design knowledge, sharing lessons learned and historical data to improve design, increase efficiency in the construction processes, and improve the classroom experience of teaching construction management. Prior to joining the faculty at Purdue University, Dr. Dib worked on management of commercial construction for major construction management companies.
- Adamo-Villani, N., Dib, H. (in review). Evaluating technology-based educational interventions: a review of two projects. Journal of Educational Technology Systems (Baywood)
- Chen, Y., Dib, H., Cox, R. (In Review). A Measurement Model of Building Information Modeling Maturity. Journal of Construction Innovation: Information, Process, and Management
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N. (In Review). The Sustainability Challenge: a Serious Game to Promote Teaching and Learning of Building Sustainability. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N., Garver, S. (In Review). An interactive virtual environment for learning differential leveling: development and initial findings. Journal of Advances in Engineering Education
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N., & Issa Raja R. (2012). A GIS – Based Visual Information model for Building Construction Project Management. The International Journal of Construction Management (IJCM)
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N. (2011). An innovative software application for Surveying Education. Journal of Computer Applications in Engineering Education. Wiley Publishing. Early view available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cae.20580/pdf
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N. (2011). An e-tool for undergraduate surveying education: design and evaluation. ICST Transactions on e-Education and e-Learning, July–September 2011 | Volume 11 | Issues 7–9 | e5
Federal Funded Projects:
- 1- 2012, NSF-TUES/ Collaborative Research: An interactive Steel Connection Teaching tool – A Virtual Structure. Duration of funding: 24 months. January 1st 2012, December 31, 2013. Role is Principal Investigator (PI)
- Dib, H. (2013). Collaborative Research: An Interactive Steel Connection Teaching Tool: A Virtual Structure. Proceedings of the National Sciences Foundation (NSF) Transforming Undergraduate Education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (TUES STEM) Principal Investigator (PI) conference, January 23-25, 2013, Washington DC (Project # 1140468)
- Adamo-Villani, N., Dib, H., & Garver, S. (2013). (In Review) An Interactive Virtual Environment for Teaching “Triangulations and Coordinates Calculations” to Surveying Students. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference of Information Visualization IV13, 15-18 July 2013, London, UK.
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N., & Garver, S. (2012). An Interactive Virtual Environment for Learning Differential Leveling. Proceedings of the 3rd World Conference on Information Technology, 14-16 November 2012, Barcelona, Spain
- Chen, Y., Dib, H., Cox, R. (2012) A Framework for Measuring Building Information Modeling Maturity based on Perception of Practitioners and Academics outside the USA. Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry, October 17-19, 2012. Beirut, Lebanon
- Koch, D., Dib, H. (2012). Construction Management Documentation using BIM. Proceedings of CIB International Conference of W055, Management of Construction: Research to Practice, 26-29 June 2012, Montreal, Canada.
- Chen, Y., Dib, H. (2012). A Framework for Measuring BIM Maturity. Proceedings of 14th International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, June 27-29, 2012, Moscow, Russia.
- Chen, Y., Dib, H., Cox, R. (2012) A Modified Framework for Measuring Building Information Modeling Maturity based on Experts’ Perception. Proceedings of 2012 ASCE International Conference on Computing in Civil Engineering, June 17-20, 2012. Clearwater Beach, FL.
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N., Nilforooshan#, R. (2012). A Serious Game for Learning the LEED Green Building Rating System. Proceedings of 2012 ASCE International Conference on Computing in Civil Engineering, June 17-20, 2012. Clearwater Beach, FL.
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N., & Issa Raja R. (2011). A GIS-Based Integrated Information Model to Improve Building Construction Management: Design and Initial Evaluation. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Construction Applications of Virtual Reality, November 3 & 4, 2011, Bauhaus-Universitat Weimar, Germany.
- Chen, Y., & Dib, H. (2011). Modeling Information Behavior of Communication System supported by Building Information Modeling. Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Construction and Project Management (IPEDR), vol.15 (2011). LACIST Press, Singapore.
- Chen, C., Dib, H., & Lasker, G. C. (2011). Benefits of implementing Building Information Modeling for healthcare facility Commissioning, Proceedings of 2011 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, June 19-22, 2011, Miami, FL, USA.
- Dib, H., & Adamo-Villani, N. (2011). An e-tool for assessing undergraduate students learning of surveying concepts and practices. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on IT Revolutions, March 23-25, 2011, Cordoba, Spain. (in press)
- Dib, H., & Koch, D. (2010). Integration of curriculum between computer graphics technology (CGT) and Building construction management (BCM). Proceedings of BIM-Related Academic Workshop, December 7-9, 2010, Washington DC, USA.
- Koch, D., & Dib, H. (2010). Integrating BIM into mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) construction management curriculum. Proceedings of BIM-Related Academic Workshop, December 7-9, 2010, Washington DC, USA.
- Dib, H., & Adamo-Villani, N. (2010). Assessment of serious gaming and Virtual Reality in the learning of the fundamentals of Surveying and Construction Layout courses. Proceedings of CIB W78 27th International conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry & Accelerating BIM Research Workshop, November 16-19, 2010, Cairo, Egypt.
- Dib, H., Chen#, U., & Cory, C. (2010). Using an Object Oriented Database Approach to enable students in learning industry practices. Proceedings of CIB W78 27th International conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry & Accelerating BIM Research Workshop, November 16-19, 2010, Cairo, Egypt.
- Howard, E., Cory, C. & Dib, H. (2010). Impact of gaming application use in construction engineering education. Proceedings of Computing in Civil and Building Engineering International Conference, June 30 – July 2, 2010 Nottingham, UK, Nottingham University Press, Paper 298, p. 595, ISBN 978-1-907284-60-1.
- Cory, C., Dib, H., Howard#, E. & Hall#, C. (2010). Evolution of a construction graphics course for engineering education. Proceedings of Computing in Civil and Building Engineering International Conference, June 30-July 2, 2010 Nottingham, UK, Nottingham University Press, Paper 281, p. 561, ISBN 978-1-907284-60-1.
- Dib, H., Adamo-Villani, N., Crawford, W. & Keith, D. (2010). Virtual Reality for learning construction surveying. Proceedings of Computing in Civil and Building Engineering International Conference, June 30- July 2, 2010 Nottingham, UK, Nottingham University Press, Paper 293, p. 585, ISBN 978-1-907284-60-1.
- Dib, H., Issa, R., & Flood I. (2007). Space availability approach to planning and staffing construction activities. Proceedings of ASCE Construction Research Congress, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas, May 6-8, 2007.
- Dib, H., Issa, R. A., & Cox, R. (2006). Visual information access and management for life cycle project management. Proceedings of Joint CIB W78, W102, ICCCBE, ICCC, and DMUCE International Conference on Computing and Decision Making in Civil and Building Engineering, Montreal, Canada, 14-16 June. http://itc.scix.net/cgi-bin/works/Show?w78-2006-tf383
- Dib H., (2012). Workshop leader on Building Information Modeling/Management (BIM). Construction Research Congress. May 21, 2012. Purdue University, IN. http://rebar.ecn.purdue.edu/crc2012/workshop.htm
- Chen, Y., Dib, H., Cox, R. (2012) Investigating and Measuring Building Information Modeling Maturity. Proceedings of EcoBuild America, December 3-7, 2012. Washington, DC
- 2010) Dib was part of a US delegation of distinguished Civil Engineering professors from peer institutions funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to organize and deliver a workshop in Abuja - Nigeria to promote Innovative Design Approaches to Sustainable Buildings.
- BIM presentation at Ecobuild America an AEC sciences and technology conference (2009). Code: W102, Title: Higher Education Transformation, Room Number: 147B, Day: Tuesday, Date: 12/08/2009, Time: 0900 – 1200