I have an open door policy. If you would like to arrange a meeting please send me an email.
Ioannis Papapanagiotou received the Dipl.Ing. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Patras, Greece in 2006. The M.Sc. degree and dual Ph.D. degrees in Computer Engineering and Operations Research from North Carolina State University in 2009 and 2012, respectively. He has been awarded the best paper awards in IEEE GLOBECOM 2007 and IEEE CAMAD 2010. He is also the recipient of the IBM PhD Fellowship, Academy of Athens and A. Metzelopoulos scholarships. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer and Information Technology at Purdue University and an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at North Carolina State University. Ioannis is a faculty member of the Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS) and Purdue Energy Center, both at Purdue University. He is also the co-PI of the NVIDIA CUDA Research Center at Purdue University. In the past, he was working as an advisory software engineer in the areas of mobile and cloud computing, as part of the Emerging Technology Institute in IBM, an in-house incubator team directly reporting to the CTO.
Purdue Faculty Affiliations
- Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS)
- Purdue Energy Center (Groups: Smart Grid Research and Advanced Ground Vehicle Power - Vehicle Communication, Energy Internet, IT Integration)
- Purdue Military Research Initiative (PMRI)
- Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering
- Nvidia CUDA Research Center at Purdue University (co-PI)
External Faculty Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, North Carolina State University,
- Cloud Computing (Cloud Storage, OpenStack, Docker/Containers, Highly Available Distributed Systems)
- Data Redundancy Elimination and WAN Optimization
- Internet of Things (Micro-Location/Geofencing, Security, and backend systems)
- Network Data Analytics (Big Data)
- Performance Analysis & Simulations
You may find more information on my personal website.
In summer 2015, I am the program leader of a Cloud Computing SA program in Germany.
- PhD in Electrical & Computer Engineering, NC State University (2012)
- PhD in Operations Research, NC State University (2012)
- MSc in Computer Performance Engineering, from Electrical & Computer Engineering, NC State University (2009)
- Dipl. Ing in Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Patras (5-years degree - 2006)
- Purdue Research Foundation Faculty Summer Research Grant, 2015
- NetApp Faculty Fellowship, 2015
- Google Geo Education Award, 2014
- IEEE Communications Society, 10-years of service, 2014
- IBM Invention 1st file award, 2012
- IBM PhD Fellowship, 2011-12 (link)
- Best Paper Award, IEEE CAMAD 2010 (link)
- NSF Student Travel Grant Award for IEEE GLOBECOM 2010
- Best Paper Award, IEEE GLOBECOM 2007, (link)
- NSF Student Travel Grant Award for IEEE GLOBECOM 2007
- Andreas Metzolopoulos Scholarship for PhD studies
- Academy of Athens Scholarship for PhD studies
- Outstanding Teaching Assistantship Awards, NC State University (2008-09 and 2009-10)
- Mentored Teaching Assistantship Award from the College of Engineering, NC State University (2009)
- I. S. Bayram, I. Papapanagiotou, "A Survey on Communication Technologies for Internet of Electric Vehicles", EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Springer Online, 2015
- I. Papapanagiotou, M. Falkner, M. Devetsikiotis, “Optimal Functionality Placement for Multiplay Service Provider Architectures”, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, Vol 9, no. 3, Sep 2012
- I. Papapanagiotou, F. Granelli, D. Kliazovich, M. Devetsikiotis, "A Metamodeling Approach for Cross-Layer Optimization: A Framework and Application to Voice over WiFi”, Elsevier Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory, Volume 19, pp. 2117-2129, 2011.
- I. Papapanagiotou, D. Toumpakaris, J. Lee, M. Devetsikiotis, “A Survey on Mobile WiMAX Networks: Objectives, projected features and technical challenges” IEEE Communications Tutorials & Surveys, pp. 3-18, Vo.11, Issue 4, Dec. 2009 (Top 10 IEEE Comsoc for Dec09-Jan10-Feb10-Mar10-Apr10)
- I. Papapanagiotou, G.S. Paschos, M. Devetisikiotis, “A Comparison Performance Analysis of QoS WLANs: Approaches with Enhanced Features", Special Issue on Multimedia Transmission over Emerging Wireless Technologies, Advances in Multimedia Journal, Hindawi Publications. Vol. 2007, Article ID 23817.
- G. S. Paschos, I. Papapanagiotou, S. A. Kotsopoulos, G. Karagiannidis, “A new MAC protocol with pseudo-TDMA behavior for supporting Quality of Service in 802.11 Wireless LANs”, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Hindawi Publications, Vol. 2006, Article ID 65836.
- Z. Yao, I. Papapanagiotou, R.D. Callaway, "Multi-Dimensional Scheduling in Cloud Storage Systems" IEEE ICC 2015, London, UK.
- Z. Yao, I. Papapanagiotou, R.D. Callaway, "SLA-aware Resource Scheduling for Cloud Storage" IEEE CLOUDNET 2014, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg.
- I. S. Bayram, G. Michailidis, I. Papapanagiotou, M. Devetsikiotis, “Decentralized Control of Electric Vehicles in a Network of Fast Charging Stations”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2013, Atlanta GA.
- I. Papapanagiotou, E. Nahum, V. Pappas, “Configuring DHCP Leases in the Smartphone Era”, ACM IMC 2012, Boston MA.
- I. Papapanagiotou, E. Nahum, V. Pappas, “Smartphones vs. Laptops: Comparing Web Browsing Behavior and the Implications for Caching”, ACM SIGMETRICS 2012, London, UK (short paper).
- I. Papapanagiotou, R.D. Callaway, M. Devetsikiotis, “Chunk and Object Level Deduplication for Web Optimization: A Hybrid Approach”, IEEE ICC 2012, Ottawa, Canada.
- U.K. Chaudhary, I. Papapanagiotou, M. Devetsikioitis, “Flow Classification Using Clustering and Association Rule Mining”, IEEE CAMAD 2010, Miami FL, USA. (Best Paper Award)
- A.M. Gossett, I. Papapanagiotou, M. Devetsikiotis, “An Apparatus for P2P Classification in Netflow Traces”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2010 Workshop on Enabling the Future Service-Oriented Internet (EFSOI 2010) (NSF Travel Grant Award - source code)
- I. Papapanagiotou, M. Devetsikiotis, “Aggregation Network Design Methodologies for Triple Play Services”, IEEE CCNC 2010, pp.1-5, Las Vegas, USA
- I. Papapanagiotou, G.S. Paschos, S.A. Kotsopoulos, M. Devetsikiotis, “Extensions and Comparison of QoS-Enabled WiFi Models in the Presence of Errors” IEEE GLOBECOM 2007, 26-30 November 2007, Washington DC, USA. (Best Paper Award / NSF Travel Grant Award)
- I. Papapanagiotou, J.S. Vardakas, G.S. Paschos, M.D. Logothetis, S.A. Kotsopoulos,“Performance Evaluation of IEEE 802.11e based on ON-OFF Traffic Model” ACM MOBIMEDIA 2007, Nafpaktos, Greece.
- J. S. Vardakas, I. Papapanagiotou, M. D. Logothetis, S.A. Kotsopoulos, “On the End-to-End Delay Analysis of the IEEE 802.11 Distributed Coordination Function” IEEE Computer Society, Second International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection (ICIMP 2007), Silicon Valley, USA.
- G. S. Paschos, I. Papapanagiotou, E. D. Vagenas, S. A. Kotsopoulos, “Performance analysis of a new Admission Control for 802.11 WLAN Networks in ad hoc mode”, CSNDSP 2006, pp. 215-219, Patras, Greece.
- G. S. Paschos, I. Papapanagiotou, C. G Argyropoulos, S. A. Kotsopoulos, “A Heuristic Strategy for 802.16 WiMAX scheduler for Quality of Service”, 45th Congress FITCE 2006, pp. 169-175, Athens, Greece.
- R. Ghosh, I. Papapanagiotou, K. Boloor, "A Survey on Research Initiatives for Healthcare Clouds" In Cloud Computing Applications for Quality Health Care Delivery, 1-18 (2014), accessed August 10, 2014. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-6118-9.ch001
- I. Papapanagiotou, J. Hui, M. Devetsikiotis, “On the Pricing of WiMAX networks”, in the Book “WiMAX Evolution: Emerging Technologies and Applications”, John Wiley & Sons Publications, March 2009, ISBN: 978-0470696804 (link)
- G.S. Paschos, I. Papapanagiotou, T.M. Bohnert, “Power Saving Mechanisms in IEEE 802.16e Wireless Networks”, in the Book “WiMAX Networks Planning and Optimization”, Auerbach Publications, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, April 2009, ISBN: 978-1420066623
- I. Papapanagiotou, G.S. Paschos, “A case study on the Energy Consumption and Mobility of the WLANs and WMANs”, in the Book “Heterogeneous Next Generation Networks, Innovations and platforms”, IDEA Group Publishing, October 2008, ISBN: 978-1605661087 (link)
- E. Nahum, I. Papapanagiotou, V. Pappas, "Differential dynamic host configuration protocol lease allocation", US 20140122386 A1 (App.)
- E. Nahum, I. Papapanagiotou, V. Pappas, "Differential dynamic host configuration protocol lease allocation that classifies the client/operating system", US 8832007 B2 (Grant)
- R.D. Callaway, I. Papapanagiotou, "Dynamic caching module selection for optimized data deduplication ", US 20140281262 A1 (App.)
- R.D. Callaway, I. Papapanagiotou, "Dynamic caching module selection for optimized data deduplication" US 20140281258 A1 (App.)
- I. Papapanagiotou and N.Duval-Couetil, "Demystifying the Patent Process: Intellectual Property Labs in Engineering and Technology", 2015 American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, WA, 2015
- I. Papapanagiotou, J. V. Devide, M. Devetsikiotis, M. Montoya-Weiss, “Networked 3D Virtual Computing for Collaborative Environments in Science and Education: Towards VCL 3.0”, 2nd International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 2), 15-16 May 2008, Research Triangle Park NC, USA
- I. Papapanagiotou, M. Behnen, JP Parkin, "DB2 NoSQL for JSON Capabilities, Part 4: Using the IBM NoSQL Wire Listener for DB2, IBM developerWorks article, June 2013.
IEEE, ACM, USENIX, INFORMS, ISSIP