Dr. Fanjoy is an Associate Professor and Associate Head in the Department of Aviation Technology at Purdue University. His principle teaching areas are air transportation aircraft operations, cognitive modeling, principles of high performance flight, research methods, and advanced aircraft flight systems/instrumentation. He also manages the department's graduate program. Dr. Fanjoy has more than 30 years experience as a pilot and flight examiner of large jet transport aircraft in both domestic and international flight operations.
PhD, Educational Psychology, Purdue University, 2005
Graduate, National Defense University, Washington, DC, 1990
MA, Industrial Management, Central Michigan University, 1975
BS, Meteorology, Penn State University, 1969
FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument rating
FAA Advanced Ground Instructor
- Winter, S.R., Kirschner, J.E., Leib, S.M., & Fanjoy, R. O. (2013). Implementing jet aircraft training in a university setting: Instructor perceptions and lessons learned. Collegiate Aviation Review, 31(1).
- Fanjoy, R.O., & Keller, J. C. (2013). Flight skill proficiency Issues in instrument approach accidents. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 3 (1), 1-7.
- Kirschner, J. E., Young, J. P., & Fanjoy, R. (in press). Stress and coping as a function of experience level in pilots. Aviation Psychology and Applied Human Factors.
- Franza, A. & Fanjoy, R. O. (2012). Contributing factors in Piper PA28 and Cirrus SR20 aircraft accidents. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering 1(2), 90-96.
- Fanjoy, R. O., & Gao, Y. (2011). Learning styles of Chinese aviation students. International Journal of Applied Aviation studies, 11(1), 1-8.
- Fanjoy, R. O., Harriman, S.L., & Demik, R. J. (2010). Individual and environmental predictors of burnout among regional airline pilots. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 10(1), 15-30.
- Harriman, S. L., Fanjoy, R. O., & Petrin, D. A. (2009). General aviation airport emergency preparedness and the perceived risks of very light jet operations. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 19 (1), 25-36.
- Fanjoy, R. O., & Gao, Y. (2007). Collegiate aviation in China: Opportunities and challenges. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 17 (1), 11-18.
- Fanjoy, R.O., Young, J. P., & Suckow, M. W. (2006). The experience factor: A regional airline view of pilot candidate experience. Collegiate Aviation Review, 24 (1), 67-72.
- Lee, J. R., Fanjoy, R. O., & Dillman, B. G. (2006). The effects of safety information on aeronautical decision making. Journal of Air Transportation, 10(3), 3-16.
- Young, J. P., Fanjoy, R. O. & Suckow, M. W. (2006). Impact of glass cockpit experience on manual flight skills. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 15(2), 27-32.
- Fanjoy, R. O., Young, J. P. & Dillman, B. G. (2005). Exit exams for college flight programs: Redundant activity or certification of competency? Collegiate Aviation Review, 23 (1), 24-31.
- Proctor, R. W., Young, J. P., Fanjoy, R. O., Feyen, R. G., Hartman, N. W., & Hiremath, V. V. (2005, April). Simulating glass cockpit displays in a general aviation environment. Proceedings of the 13th Biennial Symposium on Aviation Psychology, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 481-484.F
- Fanjoy, R. O. & Young, J. P. (2005). Flight deck automation: Line pilot insight for improved initial pilots training. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 5 (1), 13-24.
- Fanjoy, R. O. & Young, J. P. (2004). Training levels and methodologies for new technology aircraft in collegiate aviation. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 13 (2), 35-41.
- Fanjoy, R. O. (2004). Prediction of collegiate aviation student competency levels. Dissertation Abstracts International.