- PhD (Computer Science and Engineering), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI, 2004.
- MS (Computer Science and Engineering), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI, 1993.
- BS (Computer Science, Mathematics Minor), Oakland University Rochester, MI, 1989.
- BS (Physics), Oakland University Rochester, MI, 1989.
- 2013 - Faculty Fellow, Purdue Polytechnic Institute
- 2012 - Purdue Seed for Success Award - U.S. Compact Muon Solenoid Operations at Large Hadron Collider
- 2012 - Purdue Seed for Success Award - George E. Brown, Jr. Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation Operations
- 2012 - ASEE Information Systems Division Best Paper Award
- 2012 - Purdue University Faculty Scholar
- 2011 - Purdue Seed for Success Award - NEES Amendments 7 & 8
- 2010 - NSF CAREER Award
- 2010 - College of Technology Outstanding Faculty in Discovery Award
- 2010 - NSF Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation Best Community Contribution for Innovation in IT - SingleShot and PEN Data Management System with Christopher Stanton, Robert Kent, Greg Rodgers, and Ian Mathew
- 2010 - Purdue Seed for Success Award
- 2009 - College of Technology Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Member Award
- 2009 - Computer and Information Technology Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Member Award
- 2008 - Purdue Seed for Success Award
Textbooks and Editorships of Journals/Proceedings
- T. Hacker, Towards a Reliable Cloud Computing Service. (2009) (S. Ahson Ed.). Cloud Computing and Software Services New York, NY: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Esteves, R., Hacker, T., and Rong, C. (December 2013). Competitive K-means A new accurate and distributed k-means algorithm for large datasets. Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom 2013), December 2-5, Bristol, United Kingdom.
- Hacker, T., Eigenmann, R., Rahtje, E. (2013). Advancing Earthquake Engineering Research Through Cyberinfrastructure, Journal of Structural Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, 139(7), 1099-1111:doi: 10.1061/(asce)st.1943-541x.0000712
- Mohan, A., Hacker, T., and Rodgers, G. (July 2013). Developing a High-Volume Batch Submission Systems for Earthquake Engineering, National Science Foundation XSEDE 2013 Conference, July 2013, San Diego, CA.
- Neilsen, J., and Hacker, T. (2012 November). Using Virtual Private Networks for Reliable VM Based HPC Systems.. Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Sustainable HPC Cloud Workshop (SHPCloud 2012) Salt Lake City, UT.
- Pejsa, S., and Hacker, T. (April 2013), Curation of Earthquake Engineering Research Data, Proceedings of Archiving 2013, Society for Imaging Science and Technology, April 2-5, 2013, Washington, D.C.
- St. John, J., Nikolaidis, N., Hansen, R., and Hacker T. (June 2013). Experiences Developing International Partnerships for Education and Research in Computing, Proceedings of the 120th ASEE Annual Conference and Exhibition, June 23-26, Atlanta, GA
- St. John, J, and Hacker, T (June 2012). Developing Virtual Clusters for High Performance Computing Using Open Nebula . Proceedings of the 119th ASEE Annual Conference and Exhibition San Antonio, TX. (Best Paper Award, ASEE Computing and Information Technology Division.)
- Robison, N, and Hacker, T. (October 2012). Comparison of VM deployment Methods for HPC Education . Proceedings of the ACM Joint Conference on IT Education and Research in IT (SIGITE 2012) Calgary, Canada.
- Esteves, R., Hacker, T., and Rong, C. (December 2012). Parallel Competitive Fitness and Parallel K-means++: Two New Parallel Strategies for Seeding K-means. Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science Taipei, Taiwan.
- Hacker T.J., Romero, R., and Neilsen, J. (February 2012). Secure Live Migration of Parallel Applications Using Container Based Virtual Machines . International Journal of Space-Based and Situated Computing, Inderscience Publishing., 2(1), 45-57. (Invited paper.)
- Malik, Q. H., Perova, N., Hacker, T. J., Streveler, R. A., Magana, A. J., Vogt, P. L., & Bessenbache (December 2011). Creating a Virtual Learning Community with HUB Architecture: CLEERhub as a Case Study . Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal (KM&EL)
- Hacker T. J., Eigenmann, R., Irfanoglu, A., Pujol, S., Rathje, E., Catlin, A., Bahchi, S. (July 2011). Developing an Effective Cyberinfrastructure for Earthquake Engineering: The NEEShub . IEEE Computing in Science & Engineering (Invited Paper.)
- Hacker, T. J., Mahadik, K. (Nov 2011). Flexible Resource Allocation for Reliable Virtual Cluster Computing Systems . Proceedings of the 2010 ACM/IEEE International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC11) Seattle, WA.
- Kumar, M., Hacker, T., Springer, J., Marshall, B. (July 2011). Kernel level support for workflow patterns. IEEE 2011 Fifth International Workshop on Scientific Workflows Washington, DC.
- Hacker, T. (July 2011). Exploring the Use of Virtual Machines and Virtual Clusters for High Performance Computing Education.. Proceedings of the 118th ASEE Annual Conference and Exhibition Vancouver, BC.
- Romero, R., Hacker, T. (April 2011). Live Migration of Parallel Applications with OpenVZ. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Cloud Computing and Services (CCS2011).Singapore.
- Hacker, T., Springer, J. (November 2011). Turning the Tide of the Data Deluge. 1st Workshop on High-performance Computing Meets Databases, Seattle, WA: Supercomputing 2011.
- T. Hacker (June 2010). Developing a Course for Hands-on High Performance Computing. . Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference Louisville, KY.
- Eigenmann R., Hacker, T.J., & Rathje, E. (July 2010). NEES Cyberinfrastructure: A Foundation for Innovative Research and Education . Proceedings of the 9th US / 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering Toronto, ON.
- Marshall, B., Springer, J., & Hacker, T.J. (Dec 2010). Work in Progress: Integration of the Scientific Workflow Paradigm into High Performance Computing and Large Scale Data Management Curricula . Proceedings of the 40th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference Washington, DC.
- Shiroor, A., Springer J., Hacker, T., Marshall, B., & Brewer, J. (2010). Workflow Management Systems and Workflow Patterns. International Journal of Business Process Integration and Management (IJBPM) , 5, 63-78.
- T. J. Hacker, F. Romero, C. D. Carothers (2009). An Analysis of Clustered Failures on Large Supercomputing Systems. In Press, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing
- T. Hacker, K. Madhavan (June 2009). Developing a Research and Education Laboratory for High Performance Computing and Cyberinfrastucture. Proceedings of the 2009 American Society for Engineering Education Conference Austin, TX.
- T. J. Hacker, J. A. Springer (October 2008). Meeting the Data Challenge: Curriculum Development for Parallel Data Systems. Proceedings of the ACM SIGITE 2008 Conference Cincinnati, OH.
- Hacker, T.J., and Smith, P.M. (July 2008). Building a Network Simulation Model of the Teragrid Network.. Teragrid 08 Las Vegas, NV.
- Hacker, T.J., Springer, J.A., Schlueter, S.D, and Kane, M.D. (February 2008). Developing a Curriculum for High Performance Computing and Cyberinfrastructure Education.. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Conference for Industry and Education Collaboration New Orleans, LA.
- S. Lathrop, L. McGinnis, S. Brown, J. White, B. Armosky, J. Ferguson, T. Hacker, et. Al (June 2008). HPC University. Proceedings of the 3rd Teragrid 2008 Conference Las Vegas, NV.
- Hacker, T.J., Hansen, R. A., and Violand, R.A. (March 2008). An Analysis of TCP Alternatives for Reliable Transport in Current High-Speed Wide Area Networks. Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Conference on Telecommunications and Information Technology (ITERA 2008) Louisville, KY.
- Hacker, T.J., and Smith P.M. (March 2008). Stochastic TCP: A Statistical Approach to Congestion Avoidance.. Proceedings of the Sixth International Workshop on Protocols for FAST Long-Distance Networks (PFLDnet) Manchester, UK.
- Smith, P.M., Hacker, T.J., and Song, C.X. (April 2008). Implementing an Industrial-Strength Academic Cyberinfrastructure at Purdue University. Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Desktop Grids and Volunteer Computing Miami, FL.
- M. Dark, J. Goldman, T. Hacker, B. Marshall, A. Smith (March 2008). Dark Web Patterns. Proceedings of WebSci'09 Athens, Greece.
- Hacker, T.J., and Bertoline, G. (July 2008). A Curriculum for Petascale Computing. Teragrid 08 Las Vegas, NV.
- Hacker, T., Meglicki, G. (June 2007). Using Queue Structures to Improve Job Reliability . Proceedings of the 16th Annual IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC 07) Monterey, CA.
- Hacker, T., Wheeler, B. (January 2007). Making Research Cyberinfrastructure a Strategic Choice . EDUCAUSE Quarterly EDUCAUSE., 30, No. 1, 21 - 29.
- Hacker, T., Noble, B., Athey, B. (July 2005). Adaptive Data Block Scheduling for Parallel TCP Streams. 14th International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-14) Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Hacker, T., Noble, B., Athey, B. (March 2004). Improving Throughput and Maintaining Fairness using Parallel TCP. Proceedings of INFOCOM 2004 Hong Kong, .
- Kirschner, B., Hacker, T., Adamson, W., Athey, B., (November 2004). Walden: A Scalable Solution for Grid Account Management. Proceedings of Grid2004 Pittsburgh, PA.
- Hacker, T., Athey, B., Noble, B. (April 2002). The End-to-End Performance Effects of Parallel TCP Sockets on a Lossy Wide-Area Network. Proceedings of the 16th IEEE-CS/ACM International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Thigpen, B., Hacker, T., McGinnis L. (2002). Distributed Accounting on the Grid. Proceedings of the 6th Joint Conference on Information Sciences (JCIS)
- Hacker, T., Athey, B., Sommerfeld, J., Walker, D. (October 2002). Experiences Using Web100 for Visible Human Testbeds. Proceedings of the Fourth Visible Human Conference Keystone, CO.
- Hacker, T., Noble, B., Athey, B. (November 2002). The Effects of Systemic Packet Loss on Aggregate TCP Flows. Proceedings of Supercomputing 2002 Baltimore, MD.
- Hacker, T., Athey, B. (Novemer 2001). A Methodology for Account Management in Grid Computing Environments. Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Grid Computing Denver, CO: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Spinger Verlag Press.
- Hacker, T. (August 1993). The Design and Implementation of an AFP/AFS Protocol Translator. University of Michigan Center for Information Technology Integration Technical Report 93-5 Ann Arbor, MI.
- T. Hacker, C. Carothers (2009, March). An Analysis of Clustered Failures on Large Supercomputing Systems. NSF Workshop on Fault Tolerance for Extreme-Scale Computing, Albuquerque, NM.
- T. J. Hacker, G. Bertoline (2008, July). A Curriculum for Petascale Computing for the Great Lakes Petascale Consortium Virtual School of Computational Science and Engineering. Ann Arbor, MI.
- T. Hacker (October 2008). Reviewer. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing
- T. Hacker (April 2008). Reviewer. Journal of Grid Computing
- T. Hacker (July 2007). Reviewer. International Journal of High Performance Computing Application
2007-2011 - Purdue University
Assistant Professor, Computer & Information Technology
2007- Present - Purdue University Discovery Park Cyber Center
Research Assistant Professor, Courtesy Appointment
2006-2007 - Purdue University, Discovery Park Cyber Center
Research Assistant Professor
2004-2006 - Indiana University, University Information Technology Services
Associate Director of Research and Academic Computing
1997-2004 - University of Michigan, Center for Advanced Computing
Systems Research Programmer / Assistant Director
1994-1996 - Storage Technology Corporation, Ann Arbor, MI
1993-1994 - University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK Canada
1991-1993 - University of Michigan, Center for Information Technology Integration (CITI)
Systems Research Programmer
1989-1991 - Oakland University, Rochester, MI, Office of Computer Services
1987-1989 - Oakland University, Rochester, MI, Department of Physics and Office of Computer Services
Research Assistant / Student Systems Programmer
- Consultant, Weil, Gotshal, & Manges LLP, 2009-2010
- Consultant, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2006
- Consultant, Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA, 1999
- Consultant, A.J. Boggs & Company, Ann Arbor, MI, 1994