More than a flight school, Purdue offers a bachelor’s degree in professional flight that provides you with a larger perspective of the aviation industry. With classes that range from how an airplane is built to decision-making in the airline industry. You will learn by flying in our state-of-art fleet and matching simulators, and from aviation professionals with significant industry experience.
The Department of Aviation Technology encourages you to obtain the highest level of medical and student certificates possible during your time at Purdue.
- Earn private and commercial pilot certificates and an instrument rating
- Work toward certification to become a flight instructor and help teach younger students to fly
- Gain experience flying a jet as part of the Turbine Flight Operations
- Two degrees in five years: earn your bachelor’s degree in flight and master’s degree in aviation and aerospace management in only five years with a special plan of study.
- Get involved with nine different student organizations specifically for aviation students
My Purdue degree is one of my most valuable assets. This, packaged with a sincere attitude, and unwavering passion for flight, has allowed me to live my childhood dream for the last 25 years.
Professional Flight '77
|Number of Graduates||Percent of Grads Reported||Placement Rate||Average Salary|
- High altitude/high speed flight
- Inter-nation aviation regulatory structures
- Development of aviation safety decision matrices
- Communications of aircraft malfunctions between flight, maintenance, and technical support personnel
- Synoptic-scale dynamics and energetics, and the interactions between synoptic- and mesoscale motion fields
Student Flight INstruction Laboratory & Ground INstrument Trainer Fees
Course Number - Title Aircraft Effective Fall 2012
- AT 14500 - Private Pilot Flight Cirrus $10,169
- AT 24300 - Commercial Flight I Cirrus $10,169
- AT 24800 - Commercial Flight I Cirrus $10,169
- AT 25300 - Instrument Flight Various $8,396
- AT 35300 - Multi-Engine Flight Seminole $2,887
- AT 39600 - Turbine Aircraft Flight Phenom $6,443
Simulator (Flight Training Devices) Fees
Course Number - Title Effective Fall 2011
- AT 21000 - Ground Trainer I $2,256
- AT 21100 - Ground Trainer II $2,256
- AT 39500 - Light Jet Simulator (Phenom) $1,804
- AT 48600 - Regional Jet Simulator $2,707
Aviation is not a stationary, localized discipline; it is far-reaching and global. Part of the educational experience for aviation students includes a globalization requirement, which can be met one of three ways:
- participate in a study abroad program for an entire semester
- take an approved course overseas
- participate in a faculty-led study trips for credit.
These globalization experiences are designed to provide students with an international experience and perspective as they prepare for careers in a global industry.
The globalization requirement may also be met by proving foreign language competence or by submitting proof of at least seven days of international travel or residence since his or her 12th birthday.
In the past, flight students have taken advantage of internships in Sydney and London, experiences in Germany, and aviation tours of Europe.