2013 - Present Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
2007 - 2013 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
1994 - 2007 Senior Specialist, Automatic Transmission Engineering, Chrysler Technology Center, Chrysler Corporation, Michigan
1992 - 1994 Research Assistant, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
1990 - 1991 Research Assistant, University of Akron, Ohio
1986 - 1989 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
1983 - 1986 Research Assistant, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
- Digital Hydraulic Valve Design and Analysis
- Mechatronics Device Development
- Large Flow VFS Development
- Resistance Spot Welding Thermal-Mechanical-Electrical Modeling and Its Optimal Control
- Chatter Modeling, Analysis and Control for CNC Machining Systems
- Davison Least Squares Based Neural Network Learning Algorithm
- Modeling and Simplification of Robot Manipulator Dynamics
- Large Scale System Modeling and Reduction Techniques
- Hydraulic Systems Modeling and Simulation
- Reliability Modeling, Analysis and Improvement of 25SCY14-1B Hydraulic Pump
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Mechanical Engineering B.S. 1983
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Mechanical Engineering (Electro-Hydraulic Control) M.S. 1986
- University of Akron Mechanical Engineering (Neural Network) M.S. 1991
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Mechanical Engineering Ph.D. 1996
- Oakland University Electrical & Computer Engineering M.S. 2007
- 2011-2012 The John P. Lisack Early-Career Engagement Award, College of Technology, Purdue University
- 2010-2011 Outstanding Non-tenured Faculty Member, College of Technology, Purdue University
- 2009-2010 Outstanding Non-tenured Faculty Member, MET Department, College of Technology, Purdue University
Articles: Selected Publications from peer-reviewed papers & book chapters
- Jun Du, Shaoping Wang, Haiyan Zhang ((2013). Layered Clustering Multi-fault Diagnosis for Hydraulic Piston Pump, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 36(2), 487-504.
- Liang, R., Ye, W., Zhang, H. H., & Yang, Q. (in press). The Thermal Error Optimization Models for CNC Machine Tools, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.
- Ligata, H., & Zhang, H. H. (2012). Geometric Definition and Contact Analysis of Spherical Involute Straight Bevel Gears, International Journal of Industrial Engineering & Production Research (IJIEPR), 23(2), 101 – 111.
- Ryne McHugh, H. Henry Zhang, Virtual Prototyping of Mechatronics for 21st Century Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Engineering Research & Innovation, Fall/Winter 2011, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 69-75.
- Henry Zhang, Machining Chatter Suppression via Lyapunov Stability Based Model Reference Adaptive Control, International Journal on Intelligent Technologies abd Engineering Systems, Sept. 2011, pp. 39 -47.
- Yuequan Wan, Henry Zhang, Mark French, Fractional Order PID Design for Nonlinear Motion Control Based on Adept 550 Robot, International Journal of Modern Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 1, 2011, pp. 11 – 19.
- Haris Ligata, Henry Zhang, Overview and Design of Near-net Formed Spherical Involute Straight Bevel Gears, International Journal of Modern Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2011, pp. 47 – 53.
- Henry Zhang, PID Controller Design for A Nonlinear Motion Control Based on Modeling the Dynamics of Adept 550 Robot, International Journal of INdustrial Engineering and Management (IJIEM), Vol. 1, No.1, 2010
- Haiyan Zhang, Jun Ni, Internal Energy Based Analysis on Mechanism of Spindle Speed Variation for Regenerative Chatter Control, Journal of Vibration and Control, Vol. 16, Issue 2, Feb. 2010, pp. 281-301
- Haiyan Zhang, Todd Haran, A New Type of Digital Valve Actuated by Piezoelectric Ultrasonic Motor, Proceedings of The Second Workshop on Digital Fluid Power, Nov. 12-13, 2009, Linz, Austria, pp. 21-32
- Haiyan Zhang, M. J. Jackson, J. Ni, Machining Stability Based on Phase Difference and Its Sensitivity, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Research, Vol. 1, Issue ½, 2009, ISSN 1943-8095, 2009 Nova Science Publishers, , 1-20
- Haiyan Zhang, M. J. Jackson, J. Ni, Stability Analysis on Spindle Speed Variation Method for Machining Chatter Supression, International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials – Special Issue on ‘Next Generation Grinding Wheels’, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2009, pp. 107 – 128
- Haiyan Zhang, A Model-Based Multidisciplinary Correspondent Methodology for Design-by-Analogy, 2008 ASEE North Midwest Section Conference, Educating the Engineer of 2020, Platteville Wisconsin, Oct. 16-18, 2008
- Haiyan Zhang, Jun Ni, Mark Jackson, Machining Stability (Chapter 2), Machining with Nanomaterials, Springer, 2008, pp. 39-66
- Haiyan Zhang, Jun Ni, Mark Jackson, Machining Chatter Suppressing (Chapter 3), Machining with Nanomaterials, Springer, 2008, pp. 67-96
- Haiyan Zhang, Jun Ni, "Phase Difference And Its Sensitivity Analysis for a Nonlinear Machining Chatter Model", North American Manufacturing Research Institution, Society of Manufacturing Engineers,1994
- Vicken S. Kasparian, Celal Batur, Haiyan Zhang., Joseph Padovan, "Davidon Least Squares Based Learning Algorithm for Feedforward Neural Networks", IEEE Transaction , International Journal of Neural Network, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 661-670, 1994
- Yueh-Jaw Lin and Haiyan Zhang, "Simplification of Manipulator Dynamic Formulations Utilizing A Dimensionless Method", Robotica, Cambridge University Press, Vol. 11, Issue 2, 1993, pp. 139-147
- Celal Batur, Haiyan Zhang, Joseph Padovan, Vicken S. Kasparian, "Davidon Least Square Based Neural Network Learning Algorithms", Proceedings of the American Control Conference. Published by IEEE. Catalog Number 92CH3072-6 pp 973-978, 1992
- Haiyan Zhang, Yueh-Jaw Lin, Minghui Xu, "Non-dimensional Method for Modeling and Simplification of Robot Manipulator Dynamics", Proceedings of 2nd National Applied Mechanics and Robotics Conference, November 1991, pp IIB.1-1 – 1-7
- Optical Automatic Transmission Sensor, 65018.P1.US, (in process), December, 2007.
- Hybrid-Enabled 41TES / 62TE Automatic Transmissions with An Auxiliary Pump System (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2006).
- High Mileage Wear Reduction with Floating pin controlled Solenoid Switch Valve in the Valve Body (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2004-2005).
- Optimization of garage shifts of Automatic Transmissions (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2004-2005).
- Transmission hydraulic sub-system modeling and simulation used to optimize the electrical/hydraulic/mechanical system performances (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2004-2005).
- Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Regulator Valve Design for optimization of the flow and pressure distribution resulting in improved low speed line pressure performance (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2005).
- Thermal Bypass Valve Design & Testing for 4% fuel economy savings (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2005).
- Manufacturing Processes optimization of anodizing processes of Valve Body for Kokomo Transmission Plant (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 2004).
- Automotive Mechantronics: Solar Tracker design and development (Oakland University, 2002).
- Design and development of Transmission Range Sensors, Turbine Speed Sensors, Output Speed Sensors, Pressure Transducer, etc. for 40TE / 40TES / 41TE / 41TES / 42LE / 42RLE / 62TE Automatic Transmissions (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1997 – present).
- Design and development of hydraulic systems, valves, valve bodies, transfer plates, filter, pumps, variable force solenoids, etc. for 40TE / 40TES / 41TE / 41TES / 42LE / 42RLE / 62TE Automatic Transmissions (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1997 – present).
- Pressure Bypass Valve Design to optimize performance and provide robust functionality with various transmission coolers in multiple 41TE/40TE/42RLE vehicle applications (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1998).
- Statistical Process Control and Design of Experiments for Manufacturing Quality Improvement of 40TE/41TE/42RLE/62TE Automatic Transmissions’ Hydraulic Components and Systems (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1994 - 2005).
- Optimized Machining Parameters of Manufacturing Processes for Continuous Quality Improvement and Timing Controls (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1994 – 1997).
- GD&T Control and Tolerance Stack Up Analysis of Manufacturing Processes for 45RFE Automatic Transmission Components (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1994 – 1997).
- Design of Transmission Production Lines with Lean Manufacturing Concept directed machining tooling, gauging and manufacturing processes for 45RFE Automatic Transmission at Indiana Transmission Plant (DaimlerChrysler Corporation, 1994 – 1997).
- Stability Study of Nonlinear Manufacturing Systems with Time Delays (1992-1996).
- On-line Machining Chatter (Self-Excited Vibrations) Modeling, Numerical Simulation and Control for CNC Machining Systems (1992-1996).
- Member of Timken Award Board for SAE/Timken Howard Simpson Automotive Transmission and Driveline Innovation Award , 2007 - present
- Committee member of SAE Transmissions & Driveline Division, 2005 – present.
- Organizer of Automatic Transmission and Driveline Session, SAE World Congress, 2006 – 2011.
- Editor, International Journal of Embedded Systems and Computer Engineering
- Editor, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management
- Editor, International Journal of Powertrains
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems